SureCart can help you automatically generate licenses for your customers upon product purchase.
It’s a really simple setup that requires you to use the SureCart License Addon with SureCart.
This document will help you understand what licenses are, how they work with SureCart, and how you can set up licensing in SureCart.
Let’s start with the basics.
The SureCart License Addon is an extra Addon you can get for your SureCart plugin. It lets you create and manage license keys for any digital items you sell.
This article provides a detailed explanation of how to utilize the SureCart License Addon effectively.
Now, let’s understand how licensing works in SureCart.
Let’s imagine that you sell WordPress plugins. So you can enable licensing for your products, and when someone buys your WordPress, they get a unique key on their email after purchase.
Now, when your customers use that license, you can use SureCart’s APIs and SDKs to check if the license was created by SureCart or not after a valid purchase.
So, if you need help setting up product licensing, we’re here to walk you through the process.
Setting up licensing in SureCart is a two-step process. First, you should activate the SureCart License Addon; then, you have to enable the license for the products needing a license.
We’ll first understand how to activate the SureCart Licensing Addon.
How to Activate the License Add-on on the Platform
- Log into the app.surecart.com and go to the Plans & Billing section from the left side.
- Click on the three dots in the store to which you want to add this Addon, then click Manage Add-Ons.
- Click on the Activate button.
License Addon is now activated and ready to use.
Once you enable the licensing add-on, you will see a “Licensing” section when editing a product:
- Toggle on the switch to enable license creation.
- Limit the licenses by entering any desired number in the Activation Limit field. Leave it blank for infinite activations.
- Then click on the Add Downloads button and add your plugins or themes.
- Once you add more files to the Downloads section, you will be able to select the next version from the Current Release dropdown select field.
Once the customer has purchased, they can access the license keys by selecting the purchased product in the Downloads Tab.
You will also have a “Licenses” page where you can view a complete list of all licenses that were generated for your customers after their purchase.
- Go to SureCart from your WordPress website and click on Licenses.
- For each customer you wish to see the license, click on its license key.
When viewing the details of a specific license, you will see a page like this:
If you’re a developer or product owner and you want to make sure your product only runs if a valid SureCart license key is used, you can check out our SDK guide or API docs.
These will show you how to validate SureCart-generated license keys within your product.
- API Documentation – There are public and private API endpoints for managing licenses and activations.
- WordPress SDK – This SDK can be used to integrate SureCart licensing with your WordPress plugins and themes.
In a nutshell, the License Addon in SureCart basically helps you protect and manage your digital products like a pro.
It ensures only people who’ve bought your stuff can use it, thanks to unique license keys. It’s a handy tool for anyone looking to sell digital goods without the headache of unauthorized sharing.
If you have any questions as you explore the Addon, please get in touch with support.